What Is The Purpose Of Removing Tung Oil?
If your surface has a tung oil finish, you might want to remove it for some reason. It is important to learn how to remove tung oil.
By removing dried tung oil and sticky tung oil finish, you can fix dried and uneven tung oil on your wood surface. Thus, it will give you a smooth finish.
Can I Remove Tung Oil From Sap Wood Surface?
Yes, you can remove the tung oil on your sapwood surface. However, due to the old age of the wood. You may need to be patient and use a little bit of your muscle power.
On the other hand, if you have recently applied tung oil on the surface, it may be easier to remove the oil if you learn the right technique.
So, whether you have old or recently applied tung oil, we will show you how to deal with them right now. Keep reading this article to learn how to remove tung oil by yourself.
The Methods To Remove Tung Oil
You can use turpentine to scrape off the tung oil finish from your furniture. Turpentine is a product typically used to remove paint or finish from wooden surfaces.
Turpentine will make the paint turn soft so that it can be wiped away. This product comes from trees, and it often has harsh chemicals.
Turpentine is a derivation of pine wood chips to create turpentine. The wood chips are heated until the chemical is produced.
Then, the chemical is distilled. Nowadays. Turpentine is not commonly used as it used to be because there are concerns regarding the danger of inhaling the fumes of turpentine to humans’ health.
Here is how to remove tung oil using turpentine. Firstly, take a spare cloth and wet it with turpentine. After that, use it to rub on the tung oil.
Once the tung oil becomes soft, you can use steel wool to scrape the oil off. You can also apply xylene or naphtha by following the same steps above to achieve the same results.
What Is The Function Of Tung Oil?
Tung oil has been used as wood oil for centuries. It has been used to prolong the longevity of wood against mold, rot, and water.
Once you apply the tung oil to your wood, it will soak into the grain of the wood, creating a waterproof and hard layer.
Because of tung oil’s ability to create an impermeable layer on the wood structure, It is used to preserve boats and ships, exterior woodworking projects, and the structures for the underground tunnel.
Moreover, tung oil is preferred by rifle owners to refinish their gun stocks.
In its pure form, Tung oil doesn’t contain toxic substances for humans, so it is safe for food.
You can use tung oil as the finish for cutlery and cooking tools such as salad boards, forks, tongs, chopping boards, and other tools that directly interact with food.
Tung oil is manufactured from tung trees. It is mostly produced in China, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and the USA.
How To Eliminate Excess Tung Oil By Using Turpentine
You can remove oil finishes such as tung oil or linseed oil using turpentine as it is a paint thinner. You can use naphtha, xylene, or turpentine and do the steps below.
However, you need to be extra careful when utilizing turpentine to clean up the tung oil finish.
The reason is that the substance of turpentine can be dangerous for human health as well as for the environment if not careful when using it.
Tools And Materials You Need Prepare To Remove Tung Oil
Before you begin the removal projects, you need to satisfy these requirements:
- Respirator or mask
- Protective clothing for work
- Elbow grease
- Gloves with solvent-resistant ability
- Paint stripper
- Steel wool
- Clean cotton cloth
- And the last is xylene or naphtha, or turpentine.
The Instructions To Remove Tung Oil
Follow these instructions carefully to remove the tung oil successfully:
- Firstly, always prioritize your safety above anything else! You must wear protective clothing for woodworking. You also need to wear gloves that are solvents resistant. To protect your respiratory system, wear a respirator or mask. Make sure your work area has an adequate ventilation system.
- After you protect yourself, it’s time to start the project. Take a clean cloth and dip it in xylene, naphtha, or turpentine. Then let it soak on the cloth.
- After that, apply the thinner to your surface where the tung oil resides. You can re-apply the thinner freely and allow the solvent to sit for a few minutes. After the finish makes bubbles, you can proceed to the next step.
- Now use fine steel wool to scrape off the softened tung oil finish. You can dip your steel wool again in turpentine if necessary. Keep stripping your entire surface until there is only bare wood left.
- Next, take a dry cloth with lint-free type to clean up the residue of turpentine and tung oil on your furniture.
- Throw the debris residue on the trash can and clean the working place.
After that, you can apply a new tung oil coat or other wood finishes on your wood surface.
How To Use Mineral Spirit to Eliminate Sticky Tung Oil?
Mineral spirits are a good solution to remove sticky tung oil from your surface. Finishes from a recent woodworking project cause gummy or sticky tung oil on the wood surface.
Two possibilities may be why your last tung oil coat is not dry yet. Either you use excess tung oil or your area has humid and cold weather or a thin coat.
When applying this oil, it is important to work on dry and warm weather. You also need to clean up the extra oil after applying it. This will make the tung oil capable of drying quickly and nicely.
Here are the instructions to fix this sticky situation.
Materials and tools to prepare:
- Respirator or mask
- Rubber Gloves
- Clean cotton cloth
- Mineral Spirits
The Steps To Remove Sticky Tung Oil
- The first thing to do is wear protective equipment such as a mask, goggles, and gloves before you start the project. You also need to work in a place with an adequate ventilation system.
- Now take a clean cotton cloth and soak it in mineral spirits.
- Rub the wet cotton over the sticky tung oil lightly. Ensure that you cover the whole wood area with mineral spirits. Then leave it for a few minutes.
- Afterward, you can apply some pressure when rubbing off the sticky tung oil using a cotton cloth. You can use more mineral spirits on the cloth when the recent mineral spirits have dried up.
Keep rubbing it on the surface until you eliminate all the sticky tung oil from your wood surface.
- Finally, use a dry cloth to wipe your wood clean.